Posted at 12:12 pm
If you like hot stuff, omit the pepper flakes, adjust the salt and pepper, and add as much of your favorite hot sauce as it takes to make you happy!
PREP TIME 15 min / COOK TIME 4 min / NEED non-stick skillet / MAKES 2 servings
INGREDIENTS 1 head of CAULIFLOWER / 1 clove GARLIC / juice of 1 LIME (about 2 Tbsps) / SALT to taste / BLACK PEPPER to taste / 1 Tbsp NUTRITIONAL YEARS (optional) / RED PEPPER flakes (optional) / 1/2 cup chopped CHIVES
- Remove stems from CAULIFLOWER, wash, and break into florets.
- Heat non-stick skillet until a drop of water sizzles. Add chopped GARLIC and CAULIFLOWER.
- Stir and cook over low heat until cauliflower turns light brown.
- Add LIME JUICE, SALT, PEPPER, NUTRITIONAL YEAST and PEPPER FLAKES. Stir thoroughly and remove from heat.
- Add chives just before serving.
Cauliflower Nutrition and Facts / Nutritional Yeast Facts
Posted at 10:56 am
Basic Italian sauce from scratch
INGREDIENTS 1 1/2 lbs. fresh ripe TOMATOES / 1/2 cup finely chopped ONION / 2 crushed GARLIC / 1 tsp SUGAR / dash of RED-WINE VINEGAR / 3 stems FRESH BASIL
PREP TIME 15 min / COOK TIME 1 hour low-medium heat / NEED medium non-stick saucepan / MAKES 2 cups
- Drop 1 1/2 lbs. fresh ripe TOMATOES into a pan of boiling water for about 1 minute, until the skins split. Lift out and peel, then chop roughly.
- Saute on medium-low heat in non-stick saucepan 1/2 cup finely chopped ONION. Soften about 5 minutes until translucent but not colored. Add 2 cloves crushed GARLIC and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add peeled TOMATOES breaking them up with a wooden spoon, then add 1 tsp SUGAR, dash of RED-WINE VINEGAR, and 3 BASIL STEMS (save the leaves).
- Season lightly with SALT and ground BLACK PEPPER.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Test the seasoning, add the roughly-torn BASIL LEAVES before serving.