Basic Italian sauce from scratch
INGREDIENTS 1 1/2 lbs. fresh ripe TOMATOES / 1/2 cup finely chopped ONION / 2 crushed GARLIC / 1 tsp SUGAR / dash of RED-WINE VINEGAR / 3 stems FRESH BASIL
PREP TIME 15 min / COOK TIME 1 hour low-medium heat / NEED medium non-stick saucepan / MAKES 2 cups
- Drop 1 1/2 lbs. fresh ripe TOMATOES into a pan of boiling water for about 1 minute, until the skins split. Lift out and peel, then chop roughly.
- Saute on medium-low heat in non-stick saucepan 1/2 cup finely chopped ONION. Soften about 5 minutes until translucent but not colored. Add 2 cloves crushed GARLIC and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add peeled TOMATOES breaking them up with a wooden spoon, then add 1 tsp SUGAR, dash of RED-WINE VINEGAR, and 3 BASIL STEMS (save the leaves).
- Season lightly with SALT and ground BLACK PEPPER.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Test the seasoning, add the roughly-torn BASIL LEAVES before serving.