Recipes: Chickpea Cheese
What is it?
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae that is sold in the form of flakes or yellow powder. It has a strong flavor often described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy.
A Few Uses
- Ingredient in cheese substitutes
- In mashed or fried potatoes
- In scrambled tofu
- Topping for popcorn.
- Significant source of some B-complex vitamins
- Has approximately 9 grams of protein in 2 tablespoons
- Provides all 9 amino acids that the human body cannot produce
- Provides 5% (unfortified) to 20% (fortified with B12) of recommended daily iron
- Large amounts may cause digestive discomfort because of fiber content
- Large amounts may cause facial flushing because of niacin content
- May contain tyramine, which can trigger migraines in some individuals