This mix is used in Mexican kitchens almost every day to make red rice and as the basic sauce in a number of other popular dishes.
- PREPARE clean thoroughly and soak overnight
- COOK 2 hours, approximate
- EQUIPMENT 2 quart cooking pot
- MAKES about 3 cups
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1/4 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- small amount of water
- Plunge 500 GRAMS OF TOMATOES (about 1 lb) in boiling water until the skins loosen, about 5 minutes
- Cool so that you can handle them, peel the tomatoes and put in blender with 2 CLOVES OF GARLIC, PEELED, and 1/4 MEDIUM ONION.
- Blend until smooth. Add a small amount of water only if it is needed to keep the blender moving.
- Strain, if desired, or use as is.
Store up to 4 days in refrigerator or freeze for later use.