- PREPARATION 30 minutes
- COOK 20 minutes
- NEED blender, non-stick skillet
- MAKES 2 cups
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 medium onion
- small amt water
- 1 c rice
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp cumin (optional)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (optional)
- 1 c recaudo
- 1 c water
- Plunge 1 lb. tomatoes into boiling water until the skin loosens (about 5 minutes)
- Cool and peel the tomatoes; blend with 2 cloves garlic, peeled, 1/4 medium onion, and just enough water for blending. This mix is the recaudo.
- Lightly blend 1 c recaudo (store any left over in the refrigerator to use later) with 1 c WATER
- Wash 1 c RICE thoroughly and drain off excess water
- Heat a NON-STICK SKILLET until a drop of water jumps when dropped on it.
- Put the rice in the skillet, stirring and turning it until it is golden brown, about 10 minutes
- Pour in the RECAUDO and water mixture all at once. Add SALT, PEPPER and CUMIN. Stir lightly.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat as low as possible. The liquid should continue to bubble very slightly. Cover loosely, leaving enough air space so the mixture doesn’t boil over. Cook 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Uncover the rice and let it stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Serve plain or add cooked chopped vegetables. Peas, carrots, corn, or zucchini are favorite additions.