There are many variations of this sauce, so feel free to experiment with more spices and chopped up vegetables. This is a very basic sauce that will help you get away from processed products.
I prefer to make the sauce without salt and pepper, then add them to taste for each specific dish.*
- PREPARE 20 minutes
- COOK 2-3 hours
- EQUIPMENT 2 quart cooking pot
- MAKES 1 quart
- 5-6 lbs tomatoes
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- olive oil for sauteeing
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)*
- 1/4 tsp pepper (optional)*
- Plunge 5-6 lbs TOMATOES into boiling water just long enough to loosen the skin.
- Rinse in cool water, peel, remove cores, cut in half and remove most of the seeds
- Sauté 1 MEDIUM CHOPPED ONION and 2 CLOVES MINCED GARLIC in a small amount of OLIVE OIL in a pot large enough to cook the tomatoes
- Add 1/2 t BASIL, 1/2 t OREGANO, SALT* and PEPPER* to taste, and the prepared TOMATOES to the pot
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 2-3 hours or until desired thickness is reached
Sauce will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator. It can be frozen for greater longevity.