PREP TIME 30 min / COOK TIME 20 min / NEED blender / non-stick skillet / MAKES 2 cups
INGREDIENTS (RECAUDO): 1 lb TOMATOES / 2 cloves GARLIC / 1/4 medium ONION / small amt WATER
INGREDIENTS (SOPA): 1 cup RICE / 1/2 tsp SALT or to taste / 1/8 tsp CUMIN (optional) / 1/8 tsp BLACK PEPPER (optional) / 1 cup RECAUDO / 1 cup WATER
- Plunge 1 lb. tomatoes into boiling water until the skin loosens (about 5 minutes)
- Cool and peel the tomatoes; blend with 2 cloves garlic, peeled, 1/4 medium onion, and just enough water for blending. This mix is the recaudo.
- Lightly blend 1 c recaudo (store any left over in the refrigerator to use later) with 1 c WATER
- Wash 1 c RICE thoroughly and drain off excess water
- Heat a NON-STICK SKILLET until a drop of water jumps when dropped on it.
- Put the rice in the skillet, stirring and turning it until it is golden brown, about 10 minutes
- Pour in the RECAUDO and water mixture all at once. Add SALT, PEPPER and CUMIN. Stir lightly.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat as low as possible. The liquid should continue to bubble very slightly. Cover loosely, leaving enough air space so the mixture doesn’t boil over. Cook 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Uncover the rice and let it stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve plain or add cooked chopped vegetables, like peas, carrots, corn or zucchini.