This recipe can be used for pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans and other common varieties of beans. The garlic and onion are optional but delicious. For best results, SOAK beans overnight, and DON’T ADD SALT until beans are near the end of cooking time.
PREP TIME 5 minutes for cleaning and washing / 8-12 hours for soaking / COOK TIME approximately 2 hours / NEED strainer for washing / covered pan / MAKES 3 cups
INGREDIENTS 1 cup dried beans / 2 cups water for soaking / approximately 3 cups water for cooking / 1/2 small onion / 1 clove minced garlic / 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste / 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- Clean 1 CUP BEANS and wash thoroughly.
- Cover beans in 2 CUPS WATER and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and rinse again.
- Add 3 CUPS WATER, 1/4 SMALL ONION, and 1 CLOVE MINCED GARLIC
- Bring to a full boil, lower heat and continue cooking until beans have the desired consistency; add 1/2 tsp SALT, 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER, and continue cooking 5 minutes more.