This basic method can be used for all kinds of beans. Garlic, onion, salt, and pepper are recommended if you are planning to eat them “as is” but they are optional if you are going to use them in a recipe, such as refried beans or hummus (made from chick peas). You may want to experiment with other seasonings as well, such as barbecue sauce for pinto beans.
INGREDIENTS 1 cup dried BEANS / 2 cups WATER for soaking / approximately 3 cups WATER for cooking / 1/2 small ONION / 1 clove minced GARLIC / 1/2 tsp SALT, or to taste / 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER or to taste
PREP TIME 5 minutes for cleaning and washing / 8-12 hours for soaking / COOK TIME approximately 2 hours / NEED strainer for washing / covered pan / MAKES 3 cups
- Clean 1 CUP BEANS and wash thoroughly.
- Cover beans in 2 CUPS WATER and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and rinse again.
- Add 3 CUPS WATER, 1/4 SMALL ONION, and 1 CLOVE MINCED GARLIC
- Bring to a full boil, lower heat and continue cooking until beans have the desired consistency; add 1/2 tsp SALT, 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER, and continue cooking 5 minutes more.